Friday, October 3, 2008

what? it's alive?

I have never been a dog, mayhaps pretended to be a dog when I was a youngster but cant' recall wanting or trying to think like a dog in the last 10-15 years. But I had to sit and think what the heck the dog was thinking the other day and this is the best I could come up with.

Set the scene: Frodo our dog, Brooklyn our newly found cat (seriously found her last week, she is only 4-5 weeks old) and Rebekah's new puppy, Toby are all in the kitchen or dining room chomping on some grub. Frodo has come accustomed to the cat but Toby has only had a few encounters with her.

Ok...this is the story from Brooklyn and Toby's point of view...

Toby: Yum, that was good. Now what else can I stick my nose in or eat up around here?

Brooklyn: This cat food and baby formula is pretty tasty if i do say so myself!...what is that smell...oh dog.

Toby: whats that smell....oh cat.

Toby walks over and smells Brooklyn then licks her

Toby: not to bad, does it move?

Brooklyn: uck slobber, if I don't move maybe it will go away

Toby: Oh, maybe its one of those chew things....cool!

Brooklyn: uck you stink

Toby takes Brooklyn's back paws and starts dragging her across the floor.

Toby: hey this is fun

Brooklyn: what the heck...did he really just do that?

Me....no no Toby (Toby hears blah blah)

Toby: whats that girl saying...they are so weird

Brooklyn: MEOW

Toby drops her and they both look at each other for a second.

Toby: cool your alive?

Brooklyn: dur I'm alive

Toby: whatever, still fun to play with

Then Toby takes Brooklyn by the scruff and start carrying her around. I swear if cats could cross their arms she would have because you could see it all over face.

Brooklyn: You have got to be kidding me. I yelled to be taken off a wall to be brought to a place where the stinky drooly dog carries me around.....what a jip...shoulda stayed on the wall.

Me: Toby. drop her!

Toby: well that wasn't a good tone, I'll just drop her.

Brooklyn: yuck now I need a bath

I scoop her up to see if there is any damage. Toby looks at me with the "what" face and Brooklyn looks at me with the "took you long enough" face.

Toby: whatever, oohh whats that

Brooklyn: well at least now I am being carried....so that's nice.

So basically Toby thought Brooklyn was carry around material. the whole time Frodo is watching everyone with little interest and I am trying not to laugh.

It was cute, I have a feeling there will be a lot of stories about the three of them. :)

3 comments:

  1. That was a cute one! I love how you nailed the difference between the way dogs think and the way cats think:) Love it.

    I'm excited to meet Toby and Brooklyn. Wanna hear something funny? My brother-in-law's name is Toby and his daughter's name is Brook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey lady, when are you gonna start coming to the only true ward?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Cute!!! I'm sure you hit the nail on the head with this one. I can't fathom that animals are much more complicated than that.

    ReplyDelete