Sunday, November 23, 2008

Observant

My father had a beard for many, many years. It was his pride and joy, everyone loved it, especially my mom. Around four years ago, my father shaved that beard. Some thought it was a nice change, some mourned but all of us took a while to get used to it.

Today we celebrated Thanksgiving because some of the family that won't be in town next week were here this week. We had Mom, me, Jason, Marina, Alexander, Keith, the Thorntons, Thelma, Mr. Sorram and Aunt Maura. We were all visiting and having a great time and then my dad comes in from church meetings. He walks in, hangs up his coat, while he answers the various hello's and how's it going's coming his way. Then from the table my Aunt Maura says

"Orey, you shaved off your beard"

there was a very load silence, many 'are you serious?' looks flickered towards her and then a chorus of 'only like 5 years ago' coming from all over the room.

We all had a good laugh and mom said it must have been the fact that she doesn't have so much blond in her hair this time. Good try but I think missing someones change of appearance for five years is a little more then coloring your hair darker in the last few weeks. What will she discover next? Deborahs married?, Marina can drive? Eric is officially adopted in the family? Who knows.

Good observation Aunt Maura and thanks for the crack up!

2 comments: