Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What? That's not an effective way to communicate?

If you know me, and most of you do, you'll know that I come with quiet an attitude. I've always had an attitude and it has helped and hindered me tremendously at various times in my life. Times when said attitude comes into play, when I feel threatened or if I feel my family is threatened, if I'm being talked down too, if someone challenges my parenting skills...things like that. Even if they are not, if I even perceive this to be true I will immediately jump into my attitude.

The other day Brian and I got in a little tiff. He said the girls learned a certain behavior from me, I clearly disagreed and had points to prove this. But instead of calmly asking him to listen to what I had to say, I automatically jumped into my defensive attitude. He completely shut down, would not answer me, would not talk to me. So I say "why is it you can say what you want to say but I don't get to say what I want to say?" his response: "because I don't say it with attitude"

Ok true point. I do...and although I don't think it fair he shut me off completely, I do think it was fair of him to call me out and not continue it until I checked it. (which is suuuper hard for me).

Don't get me wrong...I will continue to stand up for myself, but I will try very hard not to include the automatic defensive attitude. We will see if I can do this.

Luckily for me...he loves me anyway. ;~)

4 comments:

  1. He was the first man I ever knew who could stand up to you and your attitude. But he was the first man that you responded to and respected his opinion and wanted to be better. Your relationship was destined to work from the start!

    PS. Don't you just "love" arguing? Me too. Good thing for BOTH of us that our husbands love us. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell you what, I don't know where you girls got said attitude. Certainly not from me, or eve your dad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice. did you do the face? you know what i'm talking about. i'll remember to never knock your parenting skills. yikes

    ReplyDelete
  4. ?What? I don't understand? You have an attitude? Nuh-UH!Since when? I don't see it! :0-)) Love you!

    ReplyDelete