Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Day

Yesterday was Earth Day. Disney came out with a movie apply named EARTH. Jason and I took Juliet and Eric to it last night. It was sooo great!

I laughed, I cried (only a little), My mouth gaped open in sheer awe at times and it really made me want to be kinder to our little planet!

Anyone who really knows me knows I am a city girl through and through. Put me in a tiny apartment with the windows facing a brick wall and the streets so crowded that you know for a fact you will probably never see that person again and I'm good. I know its a sickness, but that's how I like it. But I really do marvel at the vastness and beauty of this planet, the way it works and tries to repair itself, the sheer genius that went into creating it. I sometimes can not even comprehend it.

I am trying to be more conscious of what I do. I am trying to remember to take my bags to the store so I can use those instead of the plastic. I drink out of water bottles like no body's business but I recycle them. I turn off the lights as much as possible and keep the heater at 68.

I know there is more I can do, and I will. I will try to remember that me not paying attention in Carson City NV, is making it harder and harder for the polar bears to hunt every year because the ice is melting faster and earlier, that me not paying attention could cause the one time a year the deserts get rain to fade and therefore lose all those precious animals who so desperately depend on it. that me not paying attention will make my daughters body have to adjust to the thinning ozone and polluted air.

We may have messed it up a lot, but its never to late to try and fix it.

I really appreciate that Disney put out such a wonderful movie and encourage every one to go see it (especially this week, cause they plant a tree for every movie ticket sold this week). It really was an eye opener and I'm grateful for it.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I saw on "What Not to Wear" last night (no, I don't watch that show all the time. This is the first time I've ever seen it.) and the gal was from Las Vegas area. Anyway, she was a total hippy and ONLY wore second hand clothing because it was "recycled" and she was trying to do her part in reducing her "carbon footprint" if you will. Anyway, they found her all natural, eco-friendly clothes and make up and it was really cool. We recycle a little bit, but I think there's tons more we could do to reduce our carbon footprint too.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete