Friday, July 18, 2008

A Date with.....

So we all remember the dating scene....maybe you are still in it. The fun of getting together with someone you had been admiring. The nervousness and excitement and the feeling of either disappointment or joy, when you find out if you are compatible or not. I miss that sometimes but I also LOVE it when Jason and I go on dates. 'What? you go on dates with your husband?'.....Sure do! all married couples should continue to date each other. I have only been married 5 and a half years but from watching my parents and grandparents, who continue to date their spouses...it is advice we try to stick with. Jason and I go on dates all the time, either to the movies or out to our favorite lunch spot. Not all of them have to be expensive either....there are no money dates (but you probably don't want to hear abou those ones. hehe ;~) ). But it is fun to go out with your spouse and know what a good time you are likely to have, still have something to talk about and yes, even get those butterfly's when he holds your hand in the movie theatre or gives you a 'love you' look across the dinner table. :) that is all fine and dandy but have you ever considered dating someone else?

'NO, how can you even suggest a thing?'

well before you get the wrong idea, let me tell you who I am suggesting you date...Yourself.

Yup you heard me right....take yourself out on a date. Go to a movie you really want to see. Get yourself a huge tub of popcorn and a soda you don't have to share. Take yourself to your favorite place to eat and order something crazy. buy yourself a huge ice-cream and go to the park, or take yourself to the bookstore and spend an hour in the corner reading a new book before you decide you will buy it. :)

Never heard of this concept? some have, some haven't...some think it is kinda sad or lonely to go out and eat or go to a movie by yourself. I on the other hand HAVE to take myself out every once and a while. I love going out by myself. Yes, I get looks ranging from 'really, only one?' to 'aww how sad she has no date' to 'good for you!', but I don't' mind. I am doing something for myself, getting to know or remember what it is I like to do, or see, or eat.

sometimes it is hard to remember just who you are, what you like to do or even be comfortable being by yourself because we are so used to being with someone else. While I have no qualms about being with family and friends....why not remember the one person that has to deal with you everyday, who knows your breaking points and your strengths and what you love to do....YOU!

So take yourself out on a date if you haven't done it yet....or if you have, keep on doing it! I am pretty sure you wont' find the company wanting and if you do....maybe you should date some more so you can get to know yourself again.

Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. That is such a fun idea. I used to go to movies all the time by myself when I was single. I know Bekah does it sometimes too. I don't do it anymore, but I know I crave alone time. Times where I can just sit and breathe and not have to answer to anyone or do anything or think about junk.

    Aaaahhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. last time i went to a movie by myself my husband flipped out because i was missing for over three hours and nobody knew where i was. when i got out i had about 20 missed phones calls from several different people all trying to help him find me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. after 50 years together I still love our date nights, but I have never dated myself hummmmmm one of these days I just might try it, but I have never been a person to try things alone like going out to eat or movies, I am one of those who say oh my gosh they are watching the movie alone how sad, now I will think a different thought and think wow, they really like themselves. Thank you ML....
    love and hugs
    G

    ReplyDelete