Thursday, August 21, 2008

moving...a curse or a blessing?

what is moving? do we love it or do we hate it? well, I have come to the conclusion that I, at least, have a love-hate or a hate-love relationship (depending on the day) about this particular task.

I love it because it gives me an opportunity to see all the stuff we piled in corners, drawers, cupboards and closets all these years. Its almost like Christmas with all the stuff I forgot I had and then swear I need, even though I didn't need it the last 3 years it was hiding away. So I pack it in a box generically marked, and wait for the day that I can open that box and experience it all over again. It also gives the the opportunity to actually get rid of stuff I desperately need to get rid off but had no good excuse before now (getting rid of it for the sake of getting rid of it is never a good excuse.....I don't care what my dads says. hehe). So I have piles of get rid, pack to take to house, pack to take to storage, boxes that where never opened from the last time we moved and piles I haven't figured out what I want to do with yet.

I hate it because face it, who wants to upheaval 3-4 years worth of living and pack it away, only to unpack it and start all over. It is tedious and annoying and quiet frankly...boring! I had to pack all my books first because I found myself starting to read one instead of putting it in the boxes. I can't tell you how many spiders I have found...and killed!!!! and am amazed how we crammed so much stuff in some places and had a huge amount of unused storage in others!!! It is overwhelming and confusing. One minute I want to just throw everything away and the next I want to save every little piece of paper I come across (have no idea why we have this receipt but it has to have some kind of sentimental value....right?).

when you finally do get to your new destination you get to set up house again...hopefully better then the last time, but you have to go through all those boxes and think to yourself 'why the heck do I have a whole box of old receipts?'

so what is packing and moving? a curse or a blessing... lets just stick to its a cursed blessing and call it macaroni.

2 comments:

  1. I HATE moving because you realize you have more junk than you'll ever be able to need in five life-times. I get to the point where if it is still packed up and i haven't needed it in three years, I don't need it now. So I toss it. But, you should check your boxes before you toss stuff because there might legitimately be something you'll need. But then you have to have the willpower to say, no, I don't really need this.
    But I think moving can be a blessing because it kind of means a new chapter in your life. A time to start over a little. A new ward, a new neighborhood. It's kind of nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like moving if it's a move up. i hate the packing and unpacking. i still have boxes to unpack and i moved two months ago. i do have more space here though so i have somewhere to put all my dishes. ALL the dishes. it's exciting.

    ReplyDelete