Monday, June 15, 2009

cake class

This last Thursday was my very first time teaching the Wilton Cake Decorating class.

I signed up about a month ago, which was perfect because the previous instructor was moving. I got all my supplies in the mail. I watched the training video (which I have to say I was very disappointed in - it looked like it was made in the late 80's out of someones living room.....um aren't you a multi-million dollar company? but we'll save that for another day). I prepared everything the night before and right after work drove up there to set up.

Ok I'm pretty ok in a crowd, I like talking to people, I can make a good joke here and there....but when you have to teach something? that's a whole nother story! I just about pee'd myself I was so nervous! I had five ladies there that night. Two had called me earlier that day and said they would miss the first class. so I have seven students all together.

I start off my introducing myself, having everyone else say a little something about what they want out of the class and on to teaching.

I talked for one hour and forty-five minutes, then I took them down the Wilton isle and had them shop. (side note: I LOVE retail! I'm good at it! so this part was super fun for me).

I was able to answer their questions, suggest better ways for the things they were having difficulty doing and I know they walked away excited about the class. I even had one girl ask if we could move the class up to Friday, cause she didn't think she could wait a week to learn more. Another lady asked me what shop I owned and when I explained that I don't own a shop yet but would like to someday, she said I talk and carry myself like I have been doing this for years and already have a shop.

So needless to say, it went wonderfully! I'm very excited and can't wait to do it this Thursday!


Yay me!

4 comments:

  1. Logan Family est 2003June 15, 2009 at 1:21 PM

    Yeah!!! Congrat's!! I would love to be part of your class. I cannot wait to see and hear about how it goes in the up coming weeks!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a natural teacher, I knew you were going to have a fab class and guess what, your next set of classes will have even more students because you are so good at what you do. you go girl, proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your comment about now you know what it's like to love your job. You're so awesome! I'd take your cake class if I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, could i hire you to bake me a cake? how much would that cost and could you make it look like a tractor?

    ReplyDelete