Friday, November 13, 2009

Rewards vs Discipline

So for the last few weeks Juliet has been......stubborn is what we will call it. Juliet and I are very much alike so we are either best friends or at each others throats. I love her to pieces and I recognize that one: she is growing up and desperately wants to independent (that's how I am) and two: there have been a lot of changes in her life lately that are very hard for a four year old to process. so I've tried to be understanding and what not. But sometimes I get hardheaded too (who me? hardheaded? never right? hehe) and I lose my temper and yell.

so here is Juliet acting out and me yelling... not the best combination. The daycare told me the other day that she has been acting out at school too, to the point where she has to go to time out on her mat in a separate room. She just doesn't listen and when she does get in trouble it just rolls of her back like she's being told what color the sky is. She just doesn't' care or respond very well to discipline.

The daycare owner told me that for one of her kids she had to start doing the reward system. Stars to be exact. This is the plan we put into place. If she can go the whole day at daycare with out getting on the mat and go at home with out being put in the corner more then two times then she gets a star. If she gets stars for the whole week she gets to go to Gymnastics....if she gets stars for the whole month then she gets to go to a movie or someplace special.

I was sceptical....but we've been doing it for about a week and the difference (at least at home) is phenomenal. she listens, she's helpful and all I have to do is remind her about her stars and her attitude turns completely around...which makes me happy and less stressed, which I'm sure helps with both of our attitude problems (yes I have an attitude problem too....imagine that!)

I don't' know how long this will last but I hope for a while. :) Its making both of our lives a tad bit easier.

2 comments:

  1. yeah, that sounds good. maybe i should do that to get my kids to clean their rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very smart, and probably exactly what she needs. She probably enjoys the good attention rather than being yelled at. It's so hard to know what will work with what child because they're all so different. I hope this works for her (and you!) for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete